What habits of mind are important in learning an instrument?
Finding your way around a guitar
• What are the parts of the guitar named?
• What are the string names?
• How do I read it?
• What do the lines represent?
• What do the numbers mean?
Develop playing techniques
• How should I go about picking on the guitar?
• Have I got the confidence to perform to an audience?
• How can I develop my performance skills?
What makes the blues “The Blues”?
• Can I recognise features of blues music?
• What are they?
• How can I play them on keyboard and/or guitar (chord diagrams)?
12-bar blues chord sequence
• Can I play my part accurately and in time?
• How can I play it and make it sound ‘bluesy’?
• What are the notes?
• How can I play them on a keyboard and/or guitar?
• What is it?
• How do I do it?
• How can I use the blues scale to improvise in a blues style?
What is the process involved in composing a song from scratch?
• Can I recognise features of popular music?
• Can I describe what I can see and hear?
Use jamstudio.com to create a backing track
• What instruments should be used and which riffs?
• How can we structure the song correctly?
• Can we sing accurately over the top?
Compose an original song
• How do we compose lyrics?
• How do we compose chord sequences?
• How do we create the tune to sing?
• What music technology can we make use of? (garageband)