The History department at The Portsmouth Academy aspires to encourage a passion for the past amongst our pupils using dynamic and inspirational teaching, underpinned by the Thinking Schools philosophy. Our aim is to develop independent learners with enquiring minds, capable of analysing and evaluating evidence to form reasoned interpretations of historical events. Ultimately, pupils will achieve a greater understanding of the world in which we live and their place within it.
Subject Revision Resources
General Revision Resources
Why was Russia in Transition?
• What role did the White Generals play in the Civil War?
• What was the role of Trotsky in the Civil War?
• What happened to the Romanovs?
• What was War Communism and why did Lenin introduce it during the Civil War?
• Were the Reds stronger than the Whites?
• Was the weakness of the White forces the main reason for the Bolshevik victory in the Civil War?
• Why was the NEP introduced?
• What was the Nep and was it a success?
• How did Communist rule affect society and every day life?
• What was the impact of Lenin’s death on the leadership of Russia?
• Had Lenin succeeded in establishing a strong Communist state by the time of his death?