Art and design embodies human creativity and expression. The department has developed a curriculum that will engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art and design.
As the pupils progress, they should then be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Years 7 & 8
In Key Stage 3 students develop and reinforce their understanding and practical skills using a variety of materials, techniques and artists. Through experimentation pupils explore a selection of topics that allow them to think and develop creative ideas.
This will be linked to the area of study at that time. Possible tasks include; research on an artist, practising of a technique or skill or completion of annotation to describe work completed in class.
What is Colour Theory?
• What is colour?
• What are the Primary colours?
• What are Secondary colours? Which colours would you use to create secondary colours?
• What are Tertiary colours? How do we mix them?
• Cool/Warm colours…What are they? How are they used by artists?
• What emotions or feelings are associated with these colours?
• How could you convey emotion through the use of colour?
• How have artists used colour within their work?
• How should your work be presented?
• What is an annotation?Why is an annotation important?
• What is an artist reference?
• What are the key elements to include on your pages?
What is Abstract Art?
• Where does the term Abstract mean?
• Where did the term come from?
• What are the origins?
• How have artists used shape and colour within their work to build abstract images?
• How does Calligraphy and Islamic Art link to Abstract Art?
• Why do some artists produce Abstract work?
• What is the definition of Conceptual Art?
• How could you describe the work of….
What is Line?
• What is Line? How can line be used to create tone and texture?
• Why would an artist want to use simple line?
• How can mark making be used within Line?
• Who are the main artists that are associated with this visual element?
What is Pattern?
• How could we define the term Pattern?
• How do different artists use pattern within their work?
• Why is pattern so important?
• What is symmetry?
• How is pattern used differently between cultures?