Music is both a focus for study and a means of communal expression. Pupils develop musical understanding and skill (in perception, as composers and as performers) in classes, in option groups, individually and in school ensembles. There are many opportunities for pupils to share their musical expertise with the academy as well as to the wider community, for instance, the Carol Service and Sound Bites.
Years 7 & 8
In Key Stage 3 students develop and reinforce their understanding and practical skills using their voices, instruments and music technology. Through listening, composing and performing activities (from Keyboard Skills during Year 7 to their own original songs at the end of Year 8) they strengthen their creative ability, self-confidence and self-expression.
What habits of mind are important in learning an instrument?
Finding your way around a guitar
• What are the parts of the guitar named?
• What are the string names?
• How do I read it?
• What do the lines represent?
• What do the numbers mean?
Develop playing techniques
• How should I go about picking on the guitar?
• Have I got the confidence to perform to an audience?
• How can I develop my performance skills?
What makes the blues “The Blues”?
• Can I recognise features of blues music?
• What are they?
• How can I play them on keyboard and/or guitar (chord diagrams)?
12-bar blues chord sequence
• Can I play my part accurately and in time?
• How can I play it and make it sound ‘bluesy’?
• What are the notes?
• How can I play them on a keyboard and/or guitar?
• What is it?
• How do I do it?
• How can I use the blues scale to improvise in a blues style?
What is the process involved in composing a song from scratch?
• Can I recognise features of popular music?
• Can I describe what I can see and hear?
Use jamstudio.com to create a backing track
• What instruments should be used and which riffs?
• How can we structure the song correctly?
• Can we sing accurately over the top?
Compose an original song
• How do we compose lyrics?
• How do we compose chord sequences?
• How do we create the tune to sing?
• What music technology can we make use of? (garageband)