For your child to be eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) you will need be in receipt of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If you are in receipt of one of the benefits above, you will need to apply to Portsmouth City Council (PCC).
You can do this by apply online at https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/ext/schools/school-meals
Alternatively, you can download and complete the form – https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/ext/documents-external/sch-schlmealsappfrm2015-16.pdf
Once PCC have assessed your child’s eligibility, they will send you a letter with the outcome and will include your child’s status on the weekly list that is sent to the school.